If you have issues configuring Synergy for the first time, please take a look at the following tips and tricks that can help.
Things you need to do
- Properly install Synergy on both (or more) computers.
- Choose which computer's keyboard and mouse you will use and configure that as a master in the installation process.
- Make sure to add the "client" computers in the "Configure Server" on the server computer.
- Please note that you can only place the computers to the left/right/top/bottom, you can't put them on corners.
- You can only place a client computer once if you have multiple monitors on any of the machines. Once you add the client computer once, Synergy will treat them as one big computer screen.
- In the Configure Server section, double click on each computer to change the Screen name, this needs to match the client name (on Synergy in the client computer, bellow the "Client" checkbox, you will find the name, you can also find it by clicking "Settings" in the client). Note: make sure that the computer name does not have white spaces in the middle, the beginning, or the end of the name. Please also check that you are not using any not UTF-8 characters.
- If you change the screen name in "Settings," stop and exit the application, then open it again.
- After making any change on the server or the client, click on Apply.
- In case you are using Windows and your Windows user name has special non-UTF characters in it, e.g., "ÜsérNäme," note that this user name is not allowable. You will need to save the configuration file to a different path, for example, "C:\Synergy\configuration.cnf". For more details, view this article for more information.
- Server "refused" connection with our name: this message means that the client is not yet in the server computer configuration. Please check step 4.1 from this guide or check the setup video below.
- TLS Errors: First, make sure you are using any version that is 1.11 or up as there was a bug on TLS on previous releases which is now fixed. If you are running a 1.11+ version, open Synergy / Settings, uncheck and recheck TLS, then Apply. If you still can't make it work, please reach out to support.
For other setup problems, you can also check our Initial Setup and Configuration Walkthrough video: